It’s National Dairy Month! Why do we celebrate in June? National Dairy Month originated in the early 1900’s, when extra milk distributions were established for the warm summer months.
When it comes to dairy, I’m all in! Growing up in Ohio, dairy farms were all around me, so it has always been a staple in my household. Not only do I love the taste of dairy (especially ice cream!), but it also provides a great amount and variety of nutrients. Dairy products are great sources of calcium, vitamin D, phosphorous, high biological value protein, as well as potassium, vitamin A, and B vitamins (B12, riboflavin, and niacin). In addition, dairy products like yogurt and kefir contain probiotics to support a healthy gut microbiome, which helps with digestion, metabolism, immune function, and brain health.
Because dairy is so great, I want to provide you with some of my favorite recipes featuring dairy, as well as some delicious recipes from the National Dairy Council and Florida Dairy Farmers to incorporate in these hot summer months!
Also, don’t forget the wide variety of dairy and dairy alternatives on our campus! From the residential dining halls to Jamba Juice and Starbucks, you can add dairy or substitute it for an alternative (if you can’t have it) at almost any of our locations!
RECIPES WITH MILK
- Creamy Alfredo Sauce
- Crust-less Quiche with Cottage Cheese
- Mac and Cheese Casserole Cups – National Dairy Council
RECIPES WITH YOGURT OR KEFIR
- Banana Frozen Yogurt
- Protein Pancakes – Florida Dairy Farmers
- Fruit and Quaker Oatmeal Smoothie – National Dairy Council
- Grilled Shrimp with Yogurt Cilantro Salsa – National Dairy Council
- Cheese Crisps With Creamy Avocado Dip – National Dairy Council
RECIPES WITH CREAM
- Strawberry and Cream Popsicles (click here to watch me make them!)
- Homemade Whipped Cream – National Dairy Council
- Buncha Banana Pudding – National Dairy Council
- Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
- Potatoes Au Gratin – Florida Dairy Farmers
- Hot Pizza Dip – National Dairy Council
Let me know what your favorite dairy recipes are! As always, I am available to any meal plan holder, free of charge.